Search Engines
I searched for information using the terms 'volcanoes',
'schools' and 'teaching' using Intute and Infomine. Surprisingly, only two
results were returned for each search.
Google Advanced Search
This
activity provided an opportunity to become more familiar with the features of
Google Advanced Search. Following this exercise, I will be using the different
features of search engines more widely. Searching by file type worked well,
while searching by language returned results in languages other than those that
were specified. Searching within a site or domain was a point of interest as I
had not previously noticed this feature. Google Books and Google Scholar took
some time to find.
Knowledge 2.0
One of the search engines selected
for this activity was Trove. It is interesting to note that the results returned
for searches on a range of topics are organised according to a variety of
resource types and formats. Although students still seem to prefer Google, it is
important to develop their awareness of how a search for information can be
enhanced with the use of different search engines.
The Seven Habits
If
I were to teach students to cultivate these habits when searching the web, I
would select only the most effective to begin with. Some of these habits are
easier for secondary students.
Search Engines
Searching for
information for a year 6 unit of work about the discovery of gold in Australia
using a range of search engines returned different results. This emphasises the
importance of preventing overreliance on one particular search engine.
No comments:
Post a Comment